2012-11-08

Perfection, circa 1997


I have achieved photographic perfection.

Not with a photograph, of course – I hardly expect that happy accident to ever happen, and if it did I'm not sure that I'd be pleased. No, I accomplished it in a much more predictable way. I've completed a perfect camera outfit.


Last summer I bought a Nikon F5, which is a film camera that I've wanted for years. It's huge, heavy, eats eight AA batteries at a time, and can rip through a roll of film in under five seconds if I'm foolish enough to let it. Even compared to other film cameras in this digital age, it's excessive and impractical – but it has autofocus, works with all of my Nikon lenses, and is unspeakably awesome.

I quickly added a new-old-stock Nikon F5 shoulder strap to it; the metal buckles are stamped "JAPAN". I've also tricked it out with an MF-28 command back, which adds an intervalometer and has a larger rear LCD than the one on my first digital SLR. That's about as fancy as any pre-Y2K camera can get.

But what has me really excited is a new lens: I found an absurdly great deal on a new Nikon 50/1.4D. That basic lens design is from the late 70's, and this still-current model was last updated in the mid-90's, making it the perfect contemporary for the F5. It's a snappy focuser, small enough to make the camera less ridiculous, and the viewfinder even has a little window that lets me use the aperture ring on the lens to control the camera. Perfect.

Yes, I already own the new-and-improved 50mm f/1.4G lens, and use it on my D800. But being "better" isn't the point.

My creative process starts when I choose my medium and select the tools to work it with. The F5 and 50/1.4D combination gives me a really compelling way to use 35mm film that compliments my existing small-format film rangefinders and digital SLR – I can almost make it sound rational. But the bottom line is simple: it makes me want to go out and take photos, and to try to make them better than what I've done before. Really, nothing else matters.


Comments, questions, thoughts? You can find me on Twitter or via e-mail.