2012-09-07

The Cameras of Summer

I was recently sitting with a group of photographers over dinner, and as the conversation occasionally will, the talk turned to cameras. Most people in my critique group know that I'm using the still-novel Nikon D800, but I confounded some of them when I said that it's just one of a half-dozen cameras that I use. Now, I have to confess that I was guessing at the number, but it turns out that I was right.

Over the summer I've used five film cameras with the goal of producing print-quality photos. Two of my three medium format cameras have been out to play, the Hasselblad and Fujifilm 645, along with the Nikon F5, Zeiss Ikon, and Olympus XA in small format. And, of course, I've been out with the Nikon D800 a few times as well, bringing the total up to six.


But there's still more. I've also used three digital cameras for web-quality work: the Canon S100 and Panasonic TS3 compacts, and the grand-daddy Olympus E-1 SLR. I've even had my audio recorder out, gathering material for an upcoming project.

There are also three cameras that I haven't had a chance to use, and really miss. My big Fujifilm GX680III has been sadly neglected; I feel restless to get out and use it, but it's such a monster that I need a clear goal before it gets to leave the house. My Panasonic long zoom camera also hasn't seen any action, which is a shame since the summer really is the best time for infrared photography. Finally, my little Panasonic GH1 has been completely overshadowed by the D800, and I haven't been in the mood for ultra-wide-angle photography recently, which is its huge strength.

And no, that's still not quite all of the cameras that I own. There's the Nikon F100, which I'm half-heartedly trying to sell now that I own the F5, and an Olympus waterproof camera that I might eventually use to take underwater photos of the Panasonic TS3. My Canon APS compact has outlived its film format, so I'm not sure if it still counts as a camera or if it's simply an objet d'art. But it's still nice to have, if only so that I know which camera is the one I'm least likely to use.