2012-08-04

Left or Right

I really like this photo, and it's one of the few that I thought would work even as I was taking it. Perhaps that's why I don't have any variations on it. I wasn't planning on spending much time taking photos that day, so I was only carrying my point-and-shoot, and didn't linger.


It feels like there could be the beginning of a series here: the geometric experience of vast and deserted suburban streets. In my downtown neighbourhood it's rare to see a street this wide, and it would never be completely empty. Yet the evidence of people is irrefutable: someone built this road, and quite recently at that, and it has already seen enough traffic to wear away the markings. I find that contradiction fascinating, and at least as compelling as the opposing arrows.

I've done three different edits of this photo, starting from a clean copy of the image file each time. It's a way to take a fresh start but with the benefit of experience. This version was put through DxO Optics as well as Lightroom, with noticeably better results than working with Lightroom alone. Unfortunately for this photo, it's still not improved enough for me to be happy with it as a print. I like my little Canon S100, but it just doesn't hold up under close examination.


Comments, questions, thoughts? You can find me on Twitter or via e-mail.