2012-08-14

Better Cameras, Part Three

Limitations aren't a bad thing for art or artists, although they can cripple work-for-hire photographers. The camera market and online photo-forum culture is very heavily driven by the idealized needs of the commercial photographer and the relentless march of More Better, but that doesn't mean that it has any bearing on creating actual art.


I believe very strongly that it's important to have different cameras, just as it's worthwhile to have different lenses. Working with different cameras, from pocketable to tripod-mounted, digital or film, is how I limit my choices and narrow my focus – figuratively speaking, of course.

My moving from generation to generation of digital cameras has been a process of removing technical limitations. I could print bigger, photograph in lower light, and have more maleable image files at every step. Removing restrictions can open up entirely new creative options and allow expression that simply wouldn't have been possible before. I can't advocate needless restrictions just for the sake of having some – everyone should be lucky enough to be able to experiment, find their own expression, and change as needed.

But being able to do anything isn't everything – and the people who are happy with what they do have generally found what they need already.


Comments, questions, thoughts? You can find me on Twitter or via e-mail.