2013-04-15

Mechanism: Background

"Mechanism is a series echoing our built and acoustical environment."

I've been thinking a lot about sound recently.

I've owned a decent hand-held audio recorder for some time, and since the start of this year I've integrated it into my creative life. Using it is all about process, not any end result: my goal is simply to pay attention and find new ways of experiencing my surroundings. This, incidentally, is exactly what drew me to photography, and then as now I have no idea what the practical application of my efforts and interests will be, should one even exist.


So I was immersed in exploring audio when I started using a very rudimentary process to capture experimental images. Specifically, I had spent a couple of hours in a parking garage, recording the motors and rattles of ventilation fans and space heaters. An industrial, gritty environment was foremost in my mind, along with the tremendous resources that we yield to cars even in Toronto's downtown core. This kind of thought, of urbanism and sound and the spaces it occupies, is the core of Mechanism.


Comments, questions, thoughts? You can find me on Twitter or via e-mail.