2012-01-17

Creative Accidents

Perfection isn't something I actually expect to achieve. I'm not that good, and I'm also aware that the drive for perfection is the antithesis of completion. But I'm someone who will take the largest SLR ever produced, which has tremendous technical controls and creates a negative larger than the screen on my phone, for a miles-long bike ride so that I can photograph bricks.

I really like perfection, but I also really like this photo.



Everything in this photo worked the way it should. It's not destined for greatness, but the process went just fine. There's plenty of detail to see in the spider webs, and while the composition isn't revolutionary, it's not bad either.

But months later – I don't use a lot of black and white film in the summer – when I was unloading the camera, there was a slight mishap. Rolls of 120 film are vulnerable to light leaks, and that's what happened to this one. It's actually the first time I've had that happen with any of my film.

In this case, I'm glad it did.
But I don't plan on doing it again.


Comments, questions, thoughts? You can find me on Twitter or via e-mail.