2011-12-19

Two Lenses

I have a lot of cameras; at last count I have about a dozen, and seven have interchangeable lenes with six different lens mounts. But I only have two lenses – maybe three at the very most.

In four of the six systems that I use, a short telephoto in the 85-105mm range is my primary lens, although most of the time I also have one in the standard-wide 35-40mm range as well. In the other two formats I favour a lens in the 35-40mm range, but I have short telephotos for them as well. Technically, yes, it actually works out to being about eighteen different lenses, but fifteen of them are primes that fall into those two narrow bands.

Today I was reading about the latest American Mars rover that's recently been launched to explore our neighbour. It carries two cameras, both equipped with prime lenses. One is a 34mm wide angle, and the other is a 100mm short telephoto. Smart people, NASA.


Comments, questions, thoughts? You can find me on Twitter or via e-mail.